A play and some work?
Managed to find a little time, after the hedge-pulling and before rigor mortis set in, to play alittle.
This sample is made from dyed tissue bonded to butter muslin, with the outline stitched on machine(yes, that's right... the monster is out!!) using one of the stitch patterns that came on the beast. Stitched again, inside the line, with straight machine stitching, cut away around the outside line and slashed between the internal line and outline. Love the texture bonding the tissue to fabric gives...tissue was well crumpled before appling.
these 2 are my 'play' with the idea of reversible reverse applique. % layers. The middle layer is glazed cotton, then lace and then lining material added to each side . Had to draw round shape on each side of sandwich onto the topmost material (if this was a more resolved sample I probably would use the tissue paper method for a cleaner finish) One side I stiched around the inside of the line with buttonhole stitch... done 'inside out' in keeping with theme. The other side I used random lenght button-hole around the outside of the line and whipped it with a nice glizty thread. ... can see lovely scarves made this way using 3 or more layers over middle backing, possibly using a wavy grid as design.
This sample is actually one of the required 6... 4 layers on to backing material. First design tacked from rear & machine stitched several times around outline, second design tacked from back and...top shape..couched and whipped with vicoise raffia
middle shape... just tacking stitches
bottom shape... just couched with the raffia.
I have cut away varoius sections of the shapes caused by the over lapping of the machine and hand stitching. The outline has been cut to different depths and top and bottom of shape. I have tried to show that you can get a complex look from simple shapes. Now this is not one of the most attractive samples but I think it offers a lot of potenial for further developement (say if a resolved sample was required)